If you’ve got young kids in Bath then you’ve probably heard or been to The Egg… so when we sat down last week with the rather lovely Jenny, Marketing and Access Co-ordinator extraordinaire we thought that we knew our fair share of the in’s and out’s of the place but, boy, there is so much more going on than imaginable…. Let Kids of Bath guide you through our Top 5 findings!!!
- The Egg is the only designated children’s theatre outside of London, making and presenting work for kids AND getting children and young people involved in production too in a year round programme of performance and participation.
- It’s a nationally recognised hub for exceptional outreach work with young people, community groups, schools, universities and colleges across the country.
- Kate Cross, the Egg Director has been appointed an MBE in this year’s Birthday Honours List in recognition of her work in children’s theatre and for the community of Bath.
- The Egg cafe, adjoining The Egg, best known for being a haven for parents to enjoy a coffee whilst the kids entertain themselves in the ball pit, was taken over by the good folks Amanda and Charlie Digney earlier this year (who also own the King William pub on the London Road and the Garrick’s Head), serving menu of healthy, vegetarian and vegan options, coffees and cakes, even offering Prosecco (adults only!). There’s always plenty of pushchair space (always a bonus and all suppliers are local!!! Yes!!! Their organic milk is from Ivy Farm in Frome and cakes are from Bath-based The Organic Cake Company.
- Open all year long, the Egg offers an extravaganza of performances every Saturday with additional shows over half terms and holidays.
How lucky are we to have this amazing establishment right on our doorstep?! If you fancy going and seeing it for yourself their Christmas Show ‘The Scarlet Pimpernel‘ running from the 6th Dec, and be transported to Paris 1792 (think witty word-play, brave women, not-so-brave men, hysterical double disguises, elaborate hoaxes, poodles aplenty and very, very high wigs… what more could you ask for?!) then for tickets go here.