Places to enjoy now the kids are back at school
So this is it… the kids are now back to school and you’re left thinking what do I do with my time?! Well not quite (we know!) but if you did happen to want to treat yourself for surviving the school holidays then we’ve got the places for you…
1. Thermae Bath Spa – go retro and immerse yourself the way the Celts and Romans did by taking a dip in Bath’s very own naturally warm and mineral rich waters… there’s also a wellness suite which includes rooms such as the ‘Ice Chamber’ and ‘Celestial Relaxation Room,’ and a range a spa treatments to choose from too. If you’re thinking of going large then this is the place to do it, plus we’re completely sold if it includes an out of body experience for the 5.8 hours between the school run!
2. Menu Gordon Jones – if you’re a foodie then this one is the obvious winner. Set in Bear Flat, away from the hustle and bustle of the town, Menu Gordon Jones promises a culinary experience to please all palettes. It’s a ‘surprise’ tasting menu, perfect for those of us who spend most of our day thinking what the kids are going to want or not want for supper. Make sure you make a reservation though, there are only 10 tables and they fill up fast!
3. Hare and Hounds – a firm favourite in the bath pub scene, here you can find great food, great service and a view towards Solsbury hill to die for. Owned by the Bath Pub Company who have 3 others pubs in the Bath area, they do the Great British Pub and they do it well. It’s a great place for breakfast, lunch or dinner, so come here for your peace of calm! (P.S it does have a gorgeous outdoors play area for the children should you have to bring them!).
4. Bath Racecourse – you might not be able to do this during school hours but a visit to the racecourse is always oodles of fun. Even if you’re not into racing, there’s always a full line up of events going on up here from singers to festivals, there’s always something for everyone (even family fun days but we promise we won’t mention bringing the children again!).
5. Topping and Company Booksellers – last but not least is a shop that is a book lovers dream, walk into the magical place that is Topping and Company Booksellers and you will find each wall full to the brim of every book you could ever imagine. This truly is the place to get lost in and forget about everything for 5 seconds of your day. Be tempted by a carefully curated selection of books read by the knowledgable staff (btw a lot of them are signed copies, eeekk!), or delve deeper to the back and find an extensive array of children’s books (sorry we mentioned the ‘C’ word again!). Whatever you like to read you will find it here, so sit down and relax with a free cuppa or coffee and lose yourself.