Oh my GOSH!! How lucky are WE?! The mega-talented private chef, Stu Harmer, has created a recipe just for Kids of Bath and our wonderful readers! Thank you so much Stu! Give it a whirl gang, and please tag us in your pics! We cannot wait to make this with our own little chefs! Ps. You can hire Stu for outstanding catering for your own event!!
“This is a great supper to cook with kids, it’s simple to prepare and cook but it’s all about the toppings; choose your favourites and let the family build their own bowls at the table. For younger kids the quantities can be halved and, if preferred, the chicken can be simply grilled or poached instead of glazing. Dried or fresh egg noodles can be substituted for the ramen noodles”
Simple Glazed Chicken Ramen
For the chicken
1 tsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp dark soy sauce
4 medium sized chicken breasts or thighs
A little vegetable oil for brushing
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the stock
1 ltr chicken stock (the jelly stock pots are ideal)
3 tbsp light soy sauce
For the noodles
400g instant ramen noodles (if the noodles come with a flavour sachet save this for another use)
Extra veggies (choose any that your kids like)
4 tbsp sweetcorn/4 tbsp garden peas/a couple of large handfuls of spinach/2 pak choi, quartered/8 – 12 sliced mushrooms/tender-stem broccoli/a large handful of bean sprouts
Optional toppings (select your favourites)
2 – 4 medium eggs, boiled for 8 minutes and halved/4 spring onions, thinly sliced/1 red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced/wedges of lime or lemon/4 radishes, thinly sliced/1 mild chilli, thinly sliced/picked coriander leaves/sesame seeds/sesame oil
To cook the chicken
- Preheat the oven 200°C.
- Mix the sugar and soy sauce together.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment, place the chicken, smooth side down, brush with a little vegetable oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken breasts for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and turn them over.
- Brush the chicken breasts with the glaze and return to the oven for a further 10 – 15 minutes until cooked through and well glazed.
- Cut into thick slices
To make the stock
- Bring the stock to a simmer with the soy sauce, add any extra veggies you fancy and simmer for a further 4 – 5 minutes until everything is tender.
To cook the noodles
- Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 3 minutes until tender (or following the pack cooking instructions) then drain.
- Divide the hot noodles into a warmed bowls, add the sliced chicken, ladle over the stock and serve with bowls of your favourite toppings
For a vegetarian version use vegetable stock and instead of chicken either replace them with Quorn fillets or tofu or simply bulk up with extra veg.
For a gluten-free version the noodles can be substituted with rice noodles and use tamari instead of soy sauce.