This week the lovely Polly from The Bath Massage Company talks to us about hypnobirthing, and the power of instinctive birthing through relaxation…
For many women the notion of a comfortable or even joyful birth still remains just outside of ones grasp. Undoubtedly millions of women have experienced painful birth and the idea that birth must be painful is commonly and widely accepted as the norm.
Mothers who have comfortable or even painless births are often dismissed as ‘lucky’, ‘delusional’ or having a really ‘high pain threshold’. And often women who openly plan a drug-free birth are smirked at with knowing glances of “just you wait and see…you’ll be begging for an epidural” and warned that no awards are given for going without.
HypnoBirthing is now helping to change perceptions of how birthing can be. This unique antenatal program teaches simple but specific self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques for an easier, more gentle birth that is often accompanied by a significant reduction in pain and intervention. HypnoBirthing is not about “training mothers to give birth”, when undisturbed we already know how to do that instinctively. HypnoBirthing is about getting rid of fear and allowing our bodies and minds to relax so we can birth our babies gently.
We know that labour progresses well in an undisturbed birth, especially when the mother feels safe so her primal brain can take over. We don’t need training to give birth, but in this fast-paced world we definitely have lost the ability to relax. For mothers especially, life always seems to get in the way of the “indulgence” of true relaxation and mindfulness.
I teach Wise Hippo Hypnobirthing courses which support couples in the journey up to and beyond birth and help women to feel empowered and confident. And as one of my clients recently said “I now feel excited about my labour knowing I have the techniques to draw on, and prepare myself with.”
Here are my top 5 reasons to learn Hypnobirthing:
- Hypnobirthing teaches you self-hypnosis and uses the power of hypnosis to make you calmer, more confident and more in control of your birth. Hypnosis works!
- It changes the language and thus the way we perceive birth. No more pain and contractions! We do powerful surges and powerful feelings. Fear is flattened, confidence increased!
- Hypnobirthing reminds women that they are mammals. When did your cat last give birth in a brightly lit room full of strangers? No wonder women get scared and birth slows down. We are mammals, we need calm, quiet support.
- Hypnobirthing teaches women how to breathe through labour and birth, increasing oxytocin and positive endorphins. Did you know that endorphins are more powerful than morphine?
- I also teach you all about how to use Hypnobirthing in all birthing situations – if you need to have a planned Caesarean for example I will teach you how to use Hypnobirthing in every eventuality.
Interested? To find out more please visit www.thebathmassagecompany.com. Courses are available one-to-one and group sessions in Bath & Bristol.